October 24, 2006

3 shakes & an oktoberfest

10/20

i was covering a workmate's leave so my duty shifted from mid last thursday to night that friday. the first earthquake was felt at past 10pm. take note that we office at the 34th floor of our building so even the most quiet tremor can be felt. ever had that instinct to call someone you're closest with when your life is endanger? i tried, i called the house, i called my mom, my dad, my sis, my niece...no answer. we rushed out the building, using an elevator to get us out faster. everyone downstairs looked normal, there was no obvious panic, hence, they did not feel it. we went upstairs after and watched the news. makati shook with an intensity 3 earthquake, 2 for quezon city and manila.
* tears were discreetly flowing from my eyes when we reached the ground floor. it was not because of the earthquake, it was because of the overwhelming sadness i felt that night. i had no one to reach to, to talk to....during what i thought was already the end of me. i wanted to ring someone so bad that night, but i couldn't. that's when more of my tears poured, barely showing my face to my workmates *
the 2nd took us by surprise coz it struck after midnight, too huge of a gap for an aftershock. we hurriedly ran out compared to the first fate which we sat out for a few seconds until everyone realized we had to run for our lives! same thing, the people who were already downstairs did not notice the quake. we went back to work after a few minutes.
the 3rd came in the morning, past 6am. we were practically swaying with the building! good thing my shift ended after an hour. i went home to my family w/ collective thoughts from demanding an explanation from each member of my family why they never worried about me after the 3 earthquakes to yearning for someone to embrace me and tell me how glad they were that i was still alive....
but...i did not open my mouth when i got home. i was simply content that i was still living...still able to hold my beautiful daughter...and just slept through it...
---
10/21
oktoberfest @ metrowalk, ortigas
i made sure not to skip the oktoberfest in ortigas. so i called in a few of my girlfriends and scheduled the 'gimmick'. alex insisted on meeting right at home so she can visit her 'inaanak' at the same time. fetched saleng at their house around 10pm. the rest of my girlfriends were either unavailable or simply not interested.
ofcourse, we waited for "the dawn" to play (the last gig) and joined the crowd upfront. it was so cool and brought so many memories back. back in college, i never missed out any major events like this. i also remember not leaving a concert before 2 am hehe. but this particular gig ended only before 1am.
we went to timog to get some kabab, but the ox brain's out of stock at behrouz's so we had coffee instead at starbucks and headed home before 4am.
~~~~~~~~~~
*sana ay makilala kang muli...tulad ng dati...
*halika at lumapit kang muli...tulad ng dati...

No comments: